Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Why We Co-Sleep

Let me start out by saying I had no intention at the beginning of motherhood to co-sleep. I have friends who co-sleep. I babysat for a family that co-slept. I just didn't really think it was for me. I bought the crib, and bassinet. We were going to have the baby in the same room because of our living arrangement at the time, but that was as close as it was going to get. At least that was the idea.
Like all great plans this one was foiled as well. My daughter would not sleep in her bassinet. She would not sleep in her crib. Now remember I attachment parent so I had no intention of letting this little infant cry it out. I began holding her through the night. I found she slept better. I slept better and this arrangement just made nursing so much easier. Before I knew it I was a co-sleeper.
Now we are 5 1/2yrs into this endeavor and I think my husband enjoys it as much as I do. I have been trying to move our now 3 1/2yr old into the bedroom with his sister, but on the nights when I go to sleep early DH still will drop him in our bed. Almost every night DS still winds up in bed with us, but we both realize this is a slow and steady process.
The only real questions I ever hear about my co-sleeping arrangement are;
#1 Won't you roll over on the baby?- I have never rolled over on my baby. Do I believe it's possible. Yes I do, but I also believe that because I breastfeed and I'm a new mother my body is programmed differently.
#2 What about you and your husband?-Believe me if you want to you find time. The first couple months with a new baby a mom doesn't care about much else, but the new baby. So this isn't an issue in the beginning after that believe me you find the time.
Below is a link to an article that has some scientific stats the prove that co-sleeping can be beneficial to you and baby. I don't think I outright made the choice to co-sleep. I believe God made that decision for me and I don't feel bad or ashamed of the situation at all. In fact now I discuss this option with all new or expecting mothers. I realize it is a personal choice and one that worked to our families benefit.
http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/co_slepping.html

1 comment:

  1. We love cosleeping. I AM ready to move our 5.5 year old, though. Unlike the rest of them, he has been VERY resistant. Still trying....and trying....lol!

    ReplyDelete